Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Christ the Enemy 1

Who likes change? Even the most adventurous person will resist change at one point. When Jesus entered into this world there was a developed theological belief in Israel. A belief system that based on what we read in the Gospels was oppressive and contrary to the will of God. Then comes Jesus… The religious leaders are confronted with their selfish, ego elevating theology. Christ becomes the enemy.

If Jesus were to come these days he would be an enemy too. I wonder, how those who have control of the media, and who are loud would react to him? I wonder how those who have reduced morality to two issues (homosexual marriage and abortion) would react? I wonder how those who believe “building the church” is creating an empire that looks like a business would react? I also wonder, how would I react? Have you thought how would you react?

In the beginning of the gospel of Matthew, Jesus tells his followers, “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’” (Matthew 7: 21-23) Many of these religious people who claim knowing for sure God and His will, will be surprised. They think they are serving God but are destroying the weak. They think that by shouting, calling for gatherings and manifestations, marching or walking long distances are serving God. They should sit tight, they should examine their motives, they should reflect on the gospel. Are they doing God’s work? Who knows?

Christ the enemy


His Uncomfortable Words


His Uncomfortable Company


His Uncomfortable Works


Love your enemy


Salvation is not Exclusive


Prostitutes


The Rejected


Work on Sabbath


Here is an outline on why Jesus became the enemy and I believe would still be for some.

Christ turns into the enemy because of

I. His Uncomfortable Words

A. Love your enemy
B. Leave your loved ones
C. Salvation is not exclusive

II. His Uncomfortable Works

A. Touched the Lepers
B. Allowed women (of questionable reputation) touch him
C. Healed who and when he was not allowed

III. His Uncomfortable Companion

A. The tax collectors-- Awful people who overtax and represented the enemy
B. The prostitutes
C. Women
D. Sinners

More soon!!!

1 comment:

Greg said...

Good thoughts Reinaldo... Thanks! Greg